Papapolitis & Papapolitis is a leading full service business law firm with offices in Athens and London and a unique international outlook. We have built on the foundations of a long heritage intertwined with contemporary success. We aim to attract the most talented lawyers we can find and have developed a results orientated culture of high performance and innovation. With a deep understanding of our market and globally minded philosophy, we are uniquely positioned to act for foreign investors and corporations looking to invest or establish themselves in Greece. Our track record of successfully advising governments, international and local banks, financial institutions, large corporates and state-owned entities, as well some of the world’s largest and most sophisticated financial investors, spans over 118 years.
Our lawyers advise clients on a broad range of commercial arrangements and issues across a number of industry sectors. The combination of high level technical expertise and a commercial approach ensures that clients receive practical and viable legal advice, tailored to the needs of their business in the way that they want and can understand.
- 118 Years
- 4 generations of attorneys
- Athens and London offices
- Only Greek law firm that has entered into a strategic alliance with an international firm
- Consistently recognized as a Top-Tier and Leading Firm by major international directories
- Dedicated Funds Practice that has advised the majority of asset managers that have invested in Greece
The Firm has maintained a strong culture of leadership throughout the years and our partners, attorneys and alumni include renowned international lawyers, law professors and prominent political figures, who have taken part in milestone developments in the Greek economy and political landscape.
In today’s G20 world, our constant dedication to adding value to our client’s businesses, coupled with a commitment to integrity, responsibility and professionalism, is the catalyst for the provision of service of the highest quality and our recognition as a leading firm.
The Firm is founded by John Papapolitis Sr. and soon represents many leading businesses.
The Convention Concerning the Exchange of Greek and Turkish Populations is signed at Lausanne, Switzerland on the 30th January, 1923 by the Governments of Greece and Turkey. Papapolitis & Papapolitis is appointed as the legal advisor to the Greek Government for the exchange of property between approximately two million residents of both countries.
Nicholas Papapolitis Sr. joins the Firm after completing his post-graduate studies at Hubolt University Berlin, Sorbonne Paris II, Cambridge and Columbia Law School. In 1946, he moves to New York as a partner of a major New York law firm and is invited to head up their shipping practice after winning a landmark shipping litigation in the New York State Court.
Savvas Papapolitis, the eldest son of John Papapolitis Sr., who had joined the Firm in 1935, is elected as a Member of the Greek Parliament and begins a bright political career during which he is the youngest elected leader of the leading opposition party (EPEK), co-founds the Centre Union Party and is appointed Minister of Trade and Minister of Industry. Professor Nicholas Papapolitis Sr. returns to Greece and rejoins the Firm. He acts as the legal advisor to the Prime Minister of Greece, Nikolaos Plastiras and is elected Lecturer in Commercial Law at the Law Faculty of the University of Athens and Professor of Commercial Law and Shipping Law in the Law Faculty of the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki.
The Firm acts as the legal advisor to the Greek Government for its entry into NATO.
By the early 1960s, Papapolitis & Papapolitis has become one of the largest and most preeminent firms in Greece, with a corporate culture and work ethic modelled on those adopted by the US firms, which proved highly innovative in the Greek market. The Firm counts major shipping companies and corporations among its clients and gains a reputation for the “Papapolitis School of Thought”. The regime of the Colonels takes power in Greece and Papapolitis & Papapolitis acts in the landmark case for the Judges of the Supreme Court of Greece.
Professor Nicholas Papapolitis Sr. is elected as a member of the Greek Parliament. In 1975, he is a member of the legal team that drafts the country’s new Constitution.
The Managing Partner of the Firm, Professor Nicholas Papapolitis Sr., acts as legal advisor to the Greek Government in its entry to the EEC and John Papapolitis joins the Firm.
Papapolitis & Papapolitis entered into a non-exclusive Strategic Alliance with leading international law firm Reed Smith LLP. The Strategic Alliance which is the first and only alliance between a Greek law firm and an international law firm.
The Firm opens its London office in Mayfair and Nicholas Papapolitis is appointed as Managing Partner of the Firm.
Papapolitis & Papapolitis has ‘a very strong team with in-depth knowledge across the board’ that ‘delivers results’ and is praised for its ‘thought leadership and thorough analysis on specialised topics’.
- The buyers in largest real-estate transaction to ever take place in Greece
- The lenders on the first convertible and exchangeable bond loan to two Greek listed companies
- Both Agents to the Central Bank of Greece and the Central Bank of Cyprus on the stress tests conducted on the Greek and Cypriot banking systems
- The joint global co-coordinators on the largest rights issue of a Greek bank
- 8 out of 10 reported international asset managers to have invested in private transactions in Greece
- The buyers on the first reported acquisition of a loan portfolio sold from a Greek bank to a private investor
- The buyers in the acquisition of the largest hotel-resort in Greece
- The Sellers in the largest telecom M&A transaction to take place in Greece in 2014
- The successful plaintiffs in a high stakes EU trademark dispute
- The successful plaintiffs in one of the largest disputes in the healthcare sector
- One of the largest shipping joint ventures in the container industry between a financial sponsor and a US listed shipping company
- The financial sponsors in their investment in the only Greek oil and gas exploration company